Monday, October 29, 2012

Introduction Week (Acts 1-15)

The Martyrdom of Stephen

1. Review Acts 6:6-8 and Acts 7:51-60.  Then respond to the following items:
Stephen

  • Write a summary of Stephen's last words and what impressed you about them.
I find it interesting in these verses that Stephen never denied the faith in the midst of this great persecution.  He dyed as a martyr for what he knew to be true.  I think that if each follower of christ had the faith of Stephen we could really progress the work of the Lord.  We would do good works to our brothers and sisters, act of the promptings of the Spirit, and stand for what is right and true.  
  • What do we learn about the Godhead from these verses?
From chapter seven in Acts we learn a lot about the Godhead that has been lost, distorted, or changed.  Steven says in plain words, "I see the heavens opened, and the Son of of man standing on the right hand of God."  It's so straightforward that a person wouldn't think there could be any confusion over what the Godhead is like.  There are three distinct beings, God the Father, His son and our Savior, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost.  

2. Compare Stephen's death to Abinadi's in Mosiah 17:7-20.  List how they were similar.  What impact do their final testimonies have upon you?
Mosiah

Similarities
  • Testified of the wickedness of the people
  • Both innocent of a crime against the commandments
  • Would not deny the commandments of God
  • Sealed their testimony with their blood

Differences
  • Abinadi testified of the kind of deaths his prosecutors would face
  • Stephen asked the Lord to forgive his prosecutors
When I read the final testimonies of these great prophets it causes me to evaluate my testimony and devotion to God.  If I were in their shoes it would be very difficult to stand before a group of people and testify of God knowing that they might want to kill me.  Then to actually see them organize plans to take my life might make me reevaluate my beliefs.  I know though that if I continue to keep the commandants and covenants with Heavenly Father he will strength my faith and testimony.  Trails will come but if I trust in Him he will help me through them even if I means my life on earth comes to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment